AP4 (MMP)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Jim's review of AP4, relocated to its own thread…

Jim wrote:

Ok, I'll start. I received MMP's AP4 “Normandy 1944” this week. I am hoping to get in at least one scenario playing this coming Saturday at Claremont.

First let me say, like most ASL players, I buy everything MMP produces. Yes, because it's an “official product”, but even if it weren't I'd buy their stuff anyway. They produce quality products and components, and stand behind their work. AP4 is no exception to MMP's usual high standard.

Physical components: Attractive folder (same style as “Few Returned”); 3 entirely new boards, #53, #54 and #55, 2 ASLRB replacement pages (B-9/B-10, B-10A/B-10B covering and expanding on wall-advantage and hedgerows, with more examples), and 12 scenarios.

Board #53 is a european crossroads town board. Lots of stone buildings in a cluster, with farm land surrounding. It is a well-designed upgrade of board #10. Boards #54 and #55 are primarily hedgerows, with #55 also featuring a sunken road and some small level-one hills. Boards #54 and #55 have the added bonus of being 'double geomorphic'. IOW, each half-board is geomorphic with the two half boards of the other. For example, you can butt board #54 A-Q with board #55 Q – GG. This aspect greatly improves their flexibility and should prove very popular with scenario designers.

The scenarios are a nice mix of size, with a couple of large ones and the rest small and medium size; a little something for everyone. All of them have vehicles; this is not a replacement to Paratrooper. Because of the nature of the subject, the Germans appear in all of them of course (the SS are in five of them.) Three scenarios have them facing the British, another against the 1st Polish Armor Divsion, and the rest against the U.S. (only one with 7-4-7's, as I said, this is not a remake of Paratrooper). I love to see unusual and/or recon vehicles in scenarios, and this pack did not disappoint me; scout cars, armored cars, jeeps, motorcycles, Sherman Dozers… good stuff IMO.

AP4 was developed by an all-star cast; SoCal's own Chas Argent and Don Petros were the product coordinator and map artist, respectively; Military historian/veteran scenario designer Ian Daglish designed 7 scenarios, with 2 more by by the legendary Pete Shelling, 2 by Brian Youse and Ken Dunn and 1 scenario by Chas Argent. Top notch talents all.

I'll be reading up on the bocage rules this week in anticipation of breaking this pack in up in Claremont. I'll post the AAR's here too.

Regards,

Jim

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.