ASL out-reach at Gamex convention

SoCal ASL Forums General Forum Club Events ASL out-reach at Gamex convention

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jim Aikens
    Keymaster

On Saturday our Club sent an ASL Demo Team to the Gamex game convention at LAX. I want to thank Eric Visnowski, Dave Nicholas and Bill Yuen for joining me at the event. And on behalf of the Club, I want to extend a special thanks to Eric Nyquist for making the arrangements with Gamex, securing a primo spot in the main boardgame room, and joining us as a fifth member of the team.

This is the fifth year we’ve done it, and every year the response is a little different. Our mission is to generate interest in ASL, especially among former players who might be interested in returning to the fold, and let the gaming public know the game system we love is alive and well. We got a fair amount of interest, including a couple of guys who played long ago and are interested in getting back at it. And it was nice to see some familiar faces as well; Dan Plachta, Michael Pitts, Ken Tee, John Wootress and Jimmy Hansen all stopped by to say hello at various points.

We always set up a historical module as those are most eye-catching. This year we set up the VotG scenario “Raid on Rodimstev” from Journal 9. That proved to be an excellent choice, as it covers about a quarter of the board and has lots of small groups of units fighting; very good for integrating additional players as they stopped by. Both Erics and Dave took the attacking Germans against me and Bill as the Russians. I had a set-up done in advance, but it still took a couple of hours to get this up and running. But it turned out to be a blast. Unfortunately we ran out of time at the top of turn 4 and called it a draw.

All told, we were all quite pleased with the interest and response. It turned out to be a fun and highly productive day.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.