Beyond the Beachhead 2

SoCal ASL Forums General Forum ASL Product Reviews Beyond the Beachhead 2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    King Scott

I received the new Beyond the Beachhead 2 from Bounding Fire Productions yesterday. Obviously, I have not had a chance to play anything from it yet, but I wanted to give you all a run-down on what is included. This is a Normandy-themed, bocage-heavy pack…coincidences in production from a number of producers has lead to a temporary glut of Normandy/bocage lately, but it's all still new ASL!

First, you need to know that this is a reprint of the product that was originally produced/sold by Heat of Battle…but it is not just a reprint as there are a number of components added to version 2 that were not included in the original, additional components that may give you good reason to buy the second edition.

There are four maps included, produced in the now standard SK-style (which I don't really like, by the way, but what are we going to do). The first two boards are reprints of the boards from the HOB version, but have been renamed BFP C and BFP D…also included are BFP E and BFP F. Like the HOB versions before them, these boards all use a brown-edged hedge depiction for the Bocage, which allows for a mix of both bocage and normal hedges on the same board. Included is a page of rules to explain the new terrain art on the boards. BFP C has a village in the center with hedgrerow-lined fields surrounding it. BFP D features a crossroads surrounded by hedgerows. BFP E is a bit more open at one end, with a very small cluster of buildings, with hills & sunken road at the other end…plenty of bocage around as well. BFP F is a nice transition board with lots of open space in the center, a few small hills scattered around the periphery and some bocage around the outer areas of the map.

There are also a number of overlays included. BFP V-1 is a dense village surrounded by bocage and orchard, slightly larger than a half board. BFP V-2 is a small, 14-hex cluster, village overlay (no roads) with buildings and orchards. BFP V-3 is another village overlay, again slighly larger than a half board, but this village is a bit more open…only a few bocage and minimal orchards…it also has slopes on one side of the village. BFP H-1 is a large, bocage and orchard covered Level-2 hill overlay, again slightly more than a half board. BFP H-2 is a medium-sized Level-2 hill overlay with just a couple of bocage and orchards but mostly open.

There are a total of 16 scenarios in the pack. The original eight scenarios are here, with an additional eight new scenarios added in. The scenario cards are on the standard card strock, use the HOB-style artwork on the counters, and full color. While I like the look ofthe full color cards, it does make it challenging for me to make legible copies for my scenario books. :) Every one of the 16 scenarios uses at least one of the boards or overlays included in the pack. I've played two or three of the original scenarios from this pack and really enjoyed them (especially Taking Tailleville).

I initially debated if I should buy this pack or not, but I took advantage of the pre-order offer that BFP offered in conjunction with the Operation Cobra release that came out at the same time (review to follow)…I'm glad that I did so that I have the additional boards and scenarios.

Semper Fi!
    Scott

King Scott

Scott,

I've been trying to pick up a copy of Beyond the Beach on eBay, but I keep getting outbid and it usually goes for around $100. It sounds like I could get BTB2 instead and save some money. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Todd

King Scott

Hi Todd;

I would recommend that you just purchase BtB2 from Bounding Fire. The only difference is that the original had mounted boards. If you buy BtB2 you get two additional boards and 8 more scenarios that you won't get in the original version.

To further sway your decision, looking through the scenarios in Operation Cobra (the other BFP item I just got), most of those scenarios use boards from BtB2…I think that it is safe to say that the boards will continue to be used in future scenarios by BFP (and they have a *TON* of stuff in the works coming down the line to us).

Semper Fi!
    Scott

King Scott

Cool! Thanks Scott.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.