Crimea & Steppe Terrain

SoCal ASL Forums General Forum Fighting The Good Fight Crimea & Steppe Terrain

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    rdf

First off “Steppe Terrain” is easy and in fact we should be seeing it a HECK of lot More than we do.

The problem with our normal EST boards is that they rarely represent real terrain across Europe and Russia.

Every book I've read on the Eastern front offers a picture of a virtual sea of grain stretching limitlessly as far as you can see. Of course that's not really true, but the 'essence' of the Eastern front is Grain, Open Ground, Shrubs, Brush, Trees

“FLAT”, “Lightly Forested” or “ROLLING” terrain

K, ASL just does a weak job of Flat/Rolling/Open, but that's not because of poor board design.

ASL needs “more space” to properly scale to real life battlefields. Battles did happen in confined areas in towns but theater engagements just are lost in the ASL scope.

So I spent an hour or so setting up (again) “No Crying in Crimea” (shameless plug for the BBQ), what peeps don't see typically is a 40 hex (range) area fire shot. That's 'hot' IMO. Ever used a 120mm Mortar as a direct fire platform?

rdf

So “deep” into the setup and I find that the essence is:
    1) do you go for the 'nut' defense and just defend at equal squads, screw exiting, and make it a fight
    or
    2) fight by way of interdiction, fire lane, death by a thousand cuts

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.