Eight Simple Things to know about attending a Game Day

SoCal ASL Forums General Forum Club Events Eight Simple Things to know about attending a Game Day

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jim Aikens
    Keymaster

I know there are a fair number of people (Club members and lurkers) who have never attended one of our ASL Game Days. To encourage those who have thought about coming, but have yet to make the leap, I have put together a list of eight simple things that are useful to know:

1) If you show up at or close to the appointed start time, you will get to play. There will always be a Club Officer at every Club event. If we have an odd number of players, we’ll pair up as many games as we can and do a two-on-one scenario with the remainder. If you show up more than about a half hour after the start time, we’ll make every effort to accommodate you, but it will be subject to availability from that point on.

2) Don’t feel that because you’re new, or just playing the Starter Kit, you’ll be in over your head. We really try to match players by skill level. Trust me, none of our members are so starved for a win they’re looking to humiliate a newbie. About half of the players who regularly attend the Game Days have been playing less than 3 years. We have plenty of guys who will happily play a demo game with you to help walk you through the rules and give you as much help as you need to get up to speed.

3) Don't confuse our courtesy with a lack of ability. Trust me, just because we like to have fun doesn't mean we can't play. We have guys with a lot of “champion” plaques on their trophy wall. If you want a challenging (but always friendly) game, you have come to the right place.

4) Going for a group lunch is half the reason we get together. Ok, that's kind of an exaggeration, but not by much. Game Days are a social event. The guys who show up enjoy spending the day with their fellow ASL players. We like each other and enjoy each others’ company. Our lunch conversations never cease to amaze me. Sometimes we talk about ASL, and sometimes its W.W. II history. And just as often, we talk about current events, sports, travel, science, art, economics, history, or whatever other topic comes up. And sometimes it sounds like Art Bell’s radio show. But it’s always interesting.

5) Bring as much or as little of your stuff as you want. I recommend bringing your dice, a dice cup, and your rule book. But even that is optional. There are always guys who bring everything. We’re never at a loss for game components, and the guys that bring their stuff are pretty good about sharing.

6) There is a lot of swearing. I’ve been told that I curse like a sailor with Tourette’s syndrome, and I’m not the biggest offender. If you’re sensitive to foul language, well, you’ve been warned :).

7) You don't have to be a SoCalASL member. And except for the $5 per person that we collect at the Emerald Knights location, Game Days are entirely free (not counting lunch of course). Just show up, play and have some fun.

8 ) Its all about having fun. Like all clubs, SoCalASL has its own culture. Ours can be summed up very simply: our members are universally committed to making sure that everyone who shows up feels welcome and has a good time. That is the secret to our success.

So come and join us, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

rdf

Wish I could make the SD show tomorrow, but sadly…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.