FrF19: About His SHadowy Sides

SoCal ASL Forums General Forum Scenario AARs FrF19: About His SHadowy Sides

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Paul Simonsen snuck into town on a short trip and we managed to get together for a game last night. I found this dead even scenario out of the Swedish pack that continues to impress.

THe scenario boards are 17 and 19. Russians must take 9 building/rubble hexes out of 20 or so on board at start (plus any rubble created during play). They get 12x447s, a 9-0, 7-0, lmg, mmg, dm 50MTR and 2 KV-2s. Germans start with a wounded 10-2, 6+1, 447, 436, 247, 236 and 127 crew with a dm MMG. Oh, and 8x? to hide a bit. THe 10-2 also sets up HIP. The Germans get Turn 2 reinforcements of 8×4672, 9-1, 8-1, lmg, dm50MTR and Turn 3 reinforcements of 4xPzIVDs.

The board looks very much like 3rd RtR int eh Rain….Germans face the Russians along the length of the two side-by-side boards wit the village on the German right and the big open corridor on the German lefts (big patch of woods in the middle). The Germans can set up pretty far forward, enough to cover the entry area if desired. THe T2 reinforcements come on from the left side, anywhere and must cross the open spaces. The T3 tanks come on from the German baseline. The Russians enter from the “top”.

Paul chose to take 7 squads directly down the board through the orchards and woods with a commissar in command. He used armored assault with the KV-2s to move up to the top-most building area which has a wall and a hedge around it. 3 squads and the MMG and the MTR run up to take a lone building in the middle of the open area on the German left and prepare to suppress the T2 German reinfrocments. THe remaining squad or too supportd the armored assault on the wall-encircled building. I had set up some nasty firelane action which would have made a direct assault on the top-most building painful but Paul pulled up short and I decided to not take the shot.

Turn 2, Paul moved up his infantry in the main assault to form a solid line of death facing the patch of grain on that side where I had a pair of dummy stacks and the crew/MMG/HIP 10-2 making them look tough. The tanks moved up to the grain to start pushing me back and to start shooting at the troops I had in the main village area. The Russian assault on the top-most building (the one way out near the entry area)went a awry when the first guy over the wall, believing noone (Matt) could be dumb enough to leave a real squad so far out in the wind, suffered a 4-2 shot and broke. The others nudged in with one assault moving over the wall to put the hurt on my little 247 who had, in fact, stayed to fight along with a dummy stack. The troosp in the open ground on the German left took the lone building and assembled weapons for the oncoming German reinforcements. At this time, a lucky MTR shot managed to hit the concelaed 6+1 (von Paulus) lurking on the edge of the center woods along with his buddy the 436. Well, old von Paulus took it in the shorts and broke, ELR'd and disrupted ending his battle. Nice shot, Paul.

To take a second and explain the situation at end of Russian Turn 2. Russians had 7 squads and the 9-0 facing the 3-hex deep grain feature on the German right flank. Facing them was the two dummy stacks and the crew/MMG/10-2(who was still HIP). The two KV-2s were on the flank of these guys, on the road, facing the village buildings from about 2 hexes away. There was a 447 in the larg center building facing the tanks and a 236 upstairs above him. There was a dummy in the other single hex building facing the tanks. All units were concealed. Behind the tanks, about 8 hexes back was the little enclave made up of a single hex building in whicj my 247 sat and surrounded by a wall on one side and some hedges on the other. THe RUssians had a 447 adjacent to my 247 and then a 447/lmg on the other side of the wall one hex away from the 247. Next to the 447/lmg was the broken 447. Behind the broken 447, about 6 hexes closer to the Russian entry area was a 447/MTR and out in the middle of the German left (about 8 hexes forward of the Russian 447/MTR) was the Russian 7-0/447/MMG in the lone house. Lastly a 447 was next to the lone house and threatening to turn the German flank. The Germans faced this guy, about 5 hexes away and straddling the middle of the board, with a 436 and the disrupted von Paulus.

So, German Turn 2 has the reinforcements come on. I push a 467/dm MTR up through the woods on the flank of the 7-0/447/MMG stack so he can re-DM the brokie and lay MTR fire on the Russian MTR. I also wanted to have some more fire in case the RUssians tried to press how against the lone 436 in the woods. The other Germans stacked up to run across the open ground about 15 hexes away form the MMG team. I wanted to take the hits and yet be able to get into the village fight in 2-3 turns. SO I risked it. THe MMG fired…no effect. THe MTR fired…no effect, no rate. Menawhile, the lone 247 in the outhouse manages to break the adjsacent 447 in Prep sneding him packing. He then weathers a couple shots to survive another turn. At this time I quietly move my concelaed right flank defenders back to the lone stone building behind the grain field leaving the dummies to bear the brunt of the assault. I also move the 236 form his perch (narrowly missing a 152 shell) in order to build a small firegorup in the stone building. I leave the 447 to defend the 2-hex building in the center. The 236 takes a 1-flat shot, whiule concealed and breaks, routing to his destination.

Turn 3, the Russians press forward through the grain eliminating my dummies. THe tnaks reposition directly into the village and one sits adjacent to the stone building and the other sits amidst the other two buildings (one has a dummy and the other is the 2-hex building with the 447. The 7 squads move up and I manage to vaporize one with the MMG stack and break another with the rallied 236. He takes out the dummy-defended building and gets a guy near the 2-hex building. The tanks line up some shots but dont kill anything. I hold out in the forward outhouse against a few more shots form the 447/lmg and a passing 447. The 447 near the MMG stack on the German left edges forward and all the shooting in the world doesnt hurt my 436 (miraculously). The MTR boys duel to no effect, though I do reDM the two brokies over there.

German Turn 3, the Germna tanks arrive. One rides up the left side to confront the 7-0/447/MMG stack and the Russian MTR boy. The other three drive into the village and park close to but out of site of the KV-2s. THe KV-2s have a 152* gun that has an HE TK of 16 and a AP& TK of 18. My armor is a 3. My gun is a 75* with a AP7 TK of 10 and a HEAT TK of 13. His armor is a 8 all around with a superior turret. Not good odds. ALso, if he kills enough of my tanks, he wins! So, I hide my tanks and start shooting their 8FP MGs at anything brown that isnt a tank. THen I take my bounding fire shot with the tank that roared up the left flank. Crit on the 7-0/447/MMG stack. KIA the 447, eliminate the MMG and ELR-break the 7-0 to a 6+1. Nice.

Turn 4 sees the Russians a bit sad. The MTR boys exchange fire to no effect. THe lone 447 crawling in the open towards the 436 is vaporized by the tank over there. The 247 in the forward outhouse survives more shooting. In the center, the KV-2 finally scores a blow with the 152 cannon on the stone building. The 10-2 ELRs to a 9-2 and the crew breaks. The 236 HS? Pins. THats a 30 column shot resulting in a 2MC. Ha! The other KV-2 malfs its gun. HaHA! The German 447 is hiding upsatirs in the 2-hex house andthere is now a Russian 447 in the bottom of the other hex. Other Russians move up to take the house in the center of the woods and to reinforce the toehold in the village. The 10-2 and crew die for failure to rout and the pinned 236 is left with a broken MMG…yeha, it gacked on the previous fire phase. German Turn 4 has the reinforcing 467s run to the edge of the woods and to surround the lone Russian in the house at its center. The 436 facing, no opponents on the open ground, moves in as well to help encircle the guy. The tank from the open ground area rides in and VBM freezes him..and gets immobilized for his troubles. The German tanks in the village move out. One stays to keep firing at the lone Russian in the 2-hex house. Another moves up and behind the KV-2 with the broken gun and fails to get HEAT and misses its AP shot. The lst tank rides though the village, survives two street fighting attempts and ends 3 hexes away from the 9-0 and newly rallied 447. He then fires int eh AFPh through two grains and into the woods….CRIT. But wait! Improbable shot cries Paul. Ok…roll a 1…CRIT! Squad gets a 3KIA, 9-0 gets a k/3 and dies of wounds. The 236 in the stone building breaks from the MGs of the KV-2 outside and is now able to rout (thanks the vaporization of the 9-0 stack). So he lives.

Turn 5 Paul cant fix his Malfd gun and one of the first shots/MC checks causes my sniper to sceam over and break the 447 in the 2-hex building. We called it there.

Very tough scenario for both sides. The heroic defense of the outhouse allowed me to get my reinforcements into the village unopposed. The silly survival of the 10-2/crew/MMG allowed me to hold up the guys on that flank far longer than they should have. And the unfortunate loss of 2 squads to KIAs and the 7-0-447/MMG stack to the crit combined withthe 2 brokies from the outhouse defense meant that Paul was short on infantry anyway. Lots of luck in dice meant more good for me than Paul early on…and that made enough of a difference.

yeah… Dang Crits… =)

Fun scenario. Things went according to plan for me, but instead of the squads breaking when receiving fire, Matt was kind enough to save me the trouble by getting KIA's instead. That coupled with only 1 true effect of the KV's even though they were parked adjacent to enemy squads and tanks kinda sealed my fate.

My units on the Russian right flank were setup to hinder the German reinforcements, but were also ineffective. I had a MMG and MTR to cover the incoming open ground area, hoping to force Matt to enter further away and through the woods/grain to slow them reaching the town center. But noooooo…. Matt chooses to run through the open in stacks no less. MMG misses w/o rate… MTR misses w/o rate…. Oh well, I didn't really want to slow them down anyway ;)

Fun scenario. I'd recommend it
    -Paul

testuser

Wow, sounds like a cool maelstrom scenario! I'm glad to hear you guys had a good time, also.

Great AAR Matt !
    I have heard much good about FrF 19,mostly on the GS forum. I played one or two FrF scenarios with Rich Domovic and I expect to end up buying a pack or two. Hope to see ya Saturday in Claremont.
    ev

King Scott

Nice report!. I haven't played this scenario yet, but I have picked up all of the Friendly Fire packs and this and most of the other scenarios look great.

King Scott

Thanks for the AAR

The scenario sounds like a lot of fun.
    Just hide from those 152mm shots !amazed

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.