Gavutu-Tananbogo: PGRDP (Pre-Game Rules Dump Phase): LCs

SoCal ASL Forums General Forum Gavutu-Tanambogo Gavutu-Tananbogo: PGRDP (Pre-Game Rules Dump Phase): LCs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jim Aikens
    Keymaster

Ok, we're planning on playing G-T at the summer BBQ. I have been reading the rules and will be posting my learnings here on this forum. I’ll speak in the vernacular for simplicity, and, besides, I don’t have a rulebook handy to provide rules references.

There are three major rules sections required for G-T that may be new to most intermediate players: caves, Landing Craft (LC) and Seaborne Assaults (including beaches and NOBA). First up, LC. Why LC? Because that's what I read first.

The LC rules section is a total mess, but the most complicated part of this section, by far, addresses LC as targets. If one looks at the LC Destruction Table and only focuses on the LC type in the scenario that you are going to play, it simplifies things tremendously. G-T is a good example of this.

But, first off, some basics. LC are not amphibious units like LVTs. If you have played Tarawa, forget what you’ve learned, because LC are different. LC are vehicles that hold other passengers/vehicles/Guns, like boats but bigger. The PP capacity is listed on the counter. The LC in GT have ramps, which make it easier to unload.

The MP are listed on the counter too. It costs 1 MP to move one water hex. LC move towards land one hex at a time until they “beach” across a water/land hexside (either beach or hinterland), just like a boat (see Ch. E). Unloading is just like unloading from any vehicle (1/4 or MF/MP) except a) the units unload into the land hex that makes up the water/land hexside, and b) MF/MP is doubled to ½ of MF/MP if going to higher elevation (such as a hinterland hex).

One major movement difference between a boat and a LC is that a LC can, essentially, “bog” in shallow ocean hexes w/in 3 hexes of a beach hex (while moving closer in hexes to a beach hex), by running “aground”. I won’t go into the rules in detail here, as they are far too intricate for the benefit they give to play (IMO). Let’s just say that you can still exit the LC if it is aground, but it is done IN the LC hex and the unit will have to wade ashore. Yuck. IMO, It is a much better (and simpler, rules-wise) tactic to head for a hinterland hex in G-T. The odds of running aground are less, and you don’t have to worry about CR on beach hexes. Of course, you will lose the Fanaticism on the beach.

LC are not necessarily eliminated if you roll less than the TK#. They have damage points, and you need to accumulate enough of them to put the LC out of commission. EX: If you roll a 3 on a Final TK# of 5, then you’ve accumulated 5-3 = 2 damage points. If you reach the damage point level listed on the back of the counter (3 for G-T LC), then the LC is immobilized. If you exceed it, it is eliminated.

Let’s get back to the LC Destruction Table. G-T features unarmored LC, and features no Japanese ordnance (the 12.7mm quads will most certainly be used as IFE, i.e. no TH roll). Thus, if we look at the LC Destruction Table under non-ordnance Direct Fire, unarmored target, we quickly learn everything we need to know about how to resolve attacks vs. LC. We can ignore everything else on the table, as well as huge chunks of the LC rule section.

1. FP vs. a LC is halved unless the LC is beached.
    2. Roll on the * line of the IFT. If you roll less than the * number, whatever you roll less than the * number is the amount of DPs you have accumulated. If you roll equal to the * number, there is no effect vs. the LC itself. EX: MMG vs. a non-beached LC is 4 halved to 2FP. The * number on the 2FP column is 4, so a DR of 2 causes 2 DP; a DR of 3 causes 1 DP.
    3. Collateral damage is resolved normally if you roll less than or equal to the * number, as if the units were in a truck. By the way, the crews of LC are always CE.

That’s all I can remember for now. Again, please correct any mistakes I have made.

Matt

There are actually several LCs in the G-T scenarios. The LCVP or “Higgins” boat has a drop down ramp. The actual vehicles used according to the SSR is the LCV..I do not know the difference if any in game terms. The second LC is the LCM-3 which is a slightly more sturdy LC used to transport vehicles…in the case of G-T, this would be the M3A1 Stuarts. The last LC is the very old LCP(L) which is really just a large “lifeboat” that required the Marines to go over the sides to get out.

I agree that much of the LC rules can be ignored given the limits in LCs present and the limits in the type of fire that can be brought to bear. It also depends on which scenario/CG we are playing. If it is the first scenario, then we need worry only about the LCP(L)s as the other two LCs are not present and neither is the Type 93 Twin AA guns for the Japs. The CG features everything mentioned above.

Great start and good idea, Matt. I am going to make a folder for the G-T effort and we can then post individual rules threads underneath to keep discussions relevant.

King Scott

What did we decide on…single scenario or full CG?

Semper Fi!
    Scott

Jim Aikens
    Keymaster

Scott: Feinstein and I are planning on setting up the CG. Marinee! You die!

Regarding LC. As Cicero points out, I overlooked the other two LC in the CG. The first wave, only, consists of LCV. Later on the USMC gets LCM(3) to carry the vehicles (with ramp) and LCP(L) (without ramp). The LCP(L) is a boat…like a lifeboat with an open top and two MG mounts in the front….they go over the side from these – unloading cost is 50% of MF instead of 25%.

Note that the LCM(3) and the LCP(L) both have some armored facings. This complicates the issue of LC as targets. Since non-Ordnance Direct Fire has no effect vs. an armored facing, I had to go look up how to fire Ordnance at LC. Turns out it is still not that complicated in G-T.

The To Kill effects of AP and HE are treated differently.
    HE: Damage Points = Final TK# – Final DR
    AP: Damage Points = 1, if Final DR is <= half of Final TK#... otherwise no Damage Points So for the 12.7mm quad, there is no column below 20mm on the HE TK Table, so I assume he would have to use the AP TK Table. The Basic TK# is 5. Assume range of 2-6 so that adds 1 for range effects for a Modified TK# of 6. The armor is 0 so the Final TK# is 6-0 = 6. So a TK DR of 2 or 3 will cause 1 DP. A MG would be 1 less, so it would cause 1 DP on a TK DR of 2. (Not very effective!) If we use the 75mm Gun as a balance, then it could fire HE. The BTK# is 7, and the MTK# will most likely also be 7. So DP will be caused by a DR of 6 or less. Ouch! This all includes collateral attacks if the TK DR <= the Final TK#. Matt

Jim Aikens
    Keymaster

Sorry, maybe I made another mistake about the LC in the OoB. Is the LCP(L) the unarmored/unarmed version? That would mean only the LCP(3) has any armor. With 5 DP (!) those things are going to be nigh impossible to take out.

For fun I looked at the LCP(4). This bohemoth carries 514 PP, has 10 DP, and totes a 20 mm, 12IFE 360 mount Gun. What a monster!

Wanna see some cool pics/info on the three landing craft in the G-T CG? Check it out…well, ok, the LCV isnt here but it is just the unarmored version of the same boat.

http://www.ussrankin.org/id38.htm

Jim Aikens
    Keymaster

There's only a few more things about LC that I can think of:

* They can pull up to a pier and dock for a cost of 1 MP. Infantry (only) can then unload for 1/4 MF (I think).
    * Beaching across a water/land hexside costs no MP.
    * There is no heavy surf, thus LC do not drift.

I should look up the CS procedure.

Anybody have anything they want to add?

To clarify the exact LCs in G-T:

The manadatory intiial wave of 12 LCs are the LCV version of the LCVP. The major difference is that the LCV is both unarmored and unarmed. It has a driver. Therefore, small arms fire will indeed work well against it.

The LCM-3 is the double large Stuart-carrier. It is used exactly as depicted on its counter with the armor, twin .50 cals and bow ramp. The only issue is that the LCM-3 in G-T has only 49PP rather than the 69 on the counter…not sure if this matters since I am not sure if you can have infantry ride this thing from another group (dont think so).

The LCP(L)s, 6 to a group in the remaining 3 Marine groups, are used exactly as depicted on the counters. They have no bow ramp, are OT from the front but are also armored on the front facing. They do have the twin medium MGs.

I wanted to get an idea of the LCs fair against small arms fire, given their reduced armor. The 12 IFE and 2 ROF (for IFE, 3 for AP) of the Jap Type 93 twin-barrel AA guns, I'd say the shots on the unarmored Marine LCs will be pretty helpful having an 8 on the * column. Not to mention the Type 88 AA gun's 14 TK and 2 ROF against the double large LCM-3s, single large LCVs or regular sized LCP(L)s…none of whom have more than a 0 AF. I am sure there are other to hit issues…but I havent read all the rules. Still, seems small arms may be more effective than first anticipated. Yay defenders!

Jim Aikens
    Keymaster

@Matt “Rolling Hot” Cicero wrote:

To clarify the exact LCs in G-T:

The manadatory intiial wave of 12 LCs are the LCV version of the LCVP. The major difference is that the LCV is both unarmored and unarmed. It has a driver. Therefore, small arms fire will indeed work well against it.

“Work well” is a relative term. Remember that small arms fire is halved vs. unbeached LC.

The LCM-3 is the double large Stuart-carrier. It is used exactly as depicted on its counter with the armor, twin .50 cals and bow ramp. The only issue is that the LCM-3 in G-T has only 49PP rather than the 69 on the counter…not sure if this matters since I am not sure if you can have infantry ride this thing from another group (dont think so).

Since it is armored on all target facings, and given the weapons at the Japanese disposal, it will be very difficult to cause an effect vs. the LCM-3. MGs and two 12.7 Guns (which may not even be in the game at that point) are all that are available, and not very effective. Which is why the 75mm AA Gun as a balance kind of has an impact (see below). But there’s only one, so maybe not so much, but it’s better than nothing.

The LCP(L)s, 6 to a group in the remaining 3 Marine groups, are used exactly as depicted on the counters. They have no bow ramp, are OT from the front but are also armored on the front facing. They do have the twin medium MGs.

I need to review the rules regarding when and how the LC can use those MGs. There are some restrictions, but I can’t recall them now. I expect these LC to essentially land unopposed, since the Japanese will, by mid-game, have few, if any, weapons to use against the armored facing. Are the passengers subject to collateral fire due to the OT from the front? … or is that only for the crew?

Some may run aground. Shrug.

I wanted to get an idea of the LCs fair against small arms fire, given their reduced armor. The 12 IFE and 2 ROF (for IFE, 3 for AP) of the Jap Type 93 twin-barrel AA guns, I'd say the shots on the unarmored Marine LCs will be pretty helpful having an 8 on the * column. Not to mention the Type 88 AA gun's 14 TK and 2 ROF against the double large LCM-3s, single large LCVs or regular sized LCP(L)s…none of whom have more than a 0 AF. I am sure there are other to hit issues…but I havent read all the rules. Still, seems small arms may be more effective than first anticipated. Yay defenders!

As I said, non-Ordnance Direct Fire is halved vs. unbeached LC, so the twin-barrel 12.7mm AA Guns will resolve on the 6fp column, which has a * of 6 (vs. unarmored facings, of course). Versus the LCV it immobilizes on a DR of 4, kills on a 3 (assuming no previous damage points). Not shabby, but hardly devastating. Given that there will be 12 of these things swarming towards the beach with 1 MMC in each, well, let’s just say we won’t be taking out entire companies of Americans.

Also note that the 14 TK of the Type 88 AA Gun is deceiving. AP is surprisingly ineffective vs. LC. A TK DR less than half of the TK# causes one (1), and only one (1), damage point. Firing HE with that things is more effective vs. both armored and unarmored facings. Example: vs. armored facing the 70mm HE TK# is 7, so it immobilizes on a 5, eliminates on a 4. Obviously it must score a hit first.

Matt R.

Jim Aikens
    Keymaster

@Matt Romey wrote:

I need to review the rules regarding when and how the LC can use those MGs. There are some restrictions, but I can’t recall them now.

Never mind, the restrictions are pretty much the same as for any other vehicle. Except that you can't Prep unless you are Fast Aground, which kind of makes sense.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.