Hill 112, Normandy

SoCal ASL Forums General Forum Military History Hill 112, Normandy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    rdf

I woke up fairly early and continued to read this new book on D-Day by Antony Beevor.

So this morning's reading was about Hill 112. It was clearly an epic fight with plenty of heroism and determination for both sides being shown. I'm reading about this battle and saying to myself, “Somebody must have done a scenario or two about this fight.” I really wonder how many scenario's there really are beyond the HoB ones that Matthew showed me.

For interest:
    [link]http://www.hill112.com[/link]

rdf

What I'd really like is a topo map…

Jim Aikens
    Keymaster

HoB did a campaign game called King of the Hill depicting Hill 112, complete with historical map. The map is a tad on the plain side, but this was in like 1995, when maps were still 100% hand made. Eddie Zeman and I did almost all of the playtesting for the CG, which is one of the better CGs, TPP or otherwise. Lot's of open ground for the Brits to cover, but they have the tools at their disposal and the Germans can get pretty thin towards the end of the initial British assault.

We came up with an idea for this CG that I still think is worthy. Most scenarios either allot CPPs on a per date basis, or they have historical modifiers to try to model the historical ebb and flow of the battle. KotH evens out the CPP over the dates, but there is a twist. You only get all of the CPPs for that date if you choose an attack chit. If you choose Idle, then you only get half of them and the CPPs are 'pushed' to the next date. This models the battle commander's struggle of when to commit troops, and adds an extra dimension of unpredictability to the game. The 'pushing' can lead to a dramatic showdown on the last scenario. I'll never forget Zeman setting up like 10 or 12 Tigers off board for his last scenario attack on my Brits entrenched on the hill. Unfortunately for him, I had a battery of 17lbers which just obliterated the Tiger company. One of the only times I beat Zeman. Good times. I highly recommend this CG if you can get your hands on it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.