J107 Operation Schwarz

SoCal ASL Forums General Forum Scenario AARs J107 Operation Schwarz

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Dan Plachta and I played this scenario twice, switching sides, at Saturday's Burbank game day. The NOVJ won both times, which is in line with the ROAR results, Partisans 16 vs. Croatian 6. Hmmm, maybe I should have had a look at those numbers before choosing to play this one.

Even with 7 turns the clock is ticking for the Croatians. Victory conditions require them to exit at least 11VP, Control all building hexes and avoid losing 19VP.

The last part is where it gets tricky. The Partisans have two LMGs, one MMG and an ATR that with a little luck can take out the Croatian AFVs at a distance, and have Molotov Capability for up-close work. It might be best to keep the armor in Motion, making To Hits more difficult and Molotovs less effective.

Moving 16 hexes in 7 turns seems easy enough, but the rugged terrain on Boards 39 and 50 channels movement along the forest roads. Sending anything down Board 39 seems to be a waste of resources unless the Partisan player has left the road unguarded. Then a flanking force of 2 TKSes–with only a B11 3-firepower BMG as MA they're not much help in the fight and the possibility of Stall means you don't want to stop them–could sweep around the defenders. They've got Low Ground Pressure and could be through the Woods in 39A4 and off the map before the Partisans could react. For the real Hail Mary the 7-0 leader could ride the lead vehicle, bailing out as it goes through the afore-mentioned Woods, then Armor Assaulting with the tankettes as they exit. In three turns you've met one of the Victory Conditions and you've still got the bulk of your force–an 8-1, 12 squads, 4 LMGs and two Armored Cars–to pry the Partisans out of the village. Yeah, I know, it's exactly those “Win the game in the shortest number of turns” tactics you've been warned about…

Still, this is an intriguing contest, there are so many ways for the Croatians to lose. The NOVJ SAN of 5, for instance, it makes every dice roll perilous. My Partisan Sniper accounted for 6 VP all by himself. Why can't I roll like that in tournaments?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.