Military Influence

SoCal ASL Forums SoCal ASL Club Members Off Topic Military Influence

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rdf

With all due respect to our armed services is there:
    a) In your opinion, in any 'stand up fight' of any nature that is there any situation in which the USA would lose in modern times?
    b) if forced into a war of attrition, how long could we bankroll it and how long 'in your opinion' would the public pay for it?
    c) should any event go 'nuke' of any size, scale and kind. In your opinion, would our nation respond in kind, not respond, or respond in overwhelming force?

Just curious,
    Bryan

King Scott

Hi Bryan;

a) US would lose against China and/or Russia. Americans are way too weak to stomach the casualties and financial impact that a “stand up fight” against either power would bring. Sure, US has the edge in bluewater navy, mainly aircrat carriers, but thats it…both China and Russia vastly outnumber our groundforces. In regards to our one advantage on the ocean, China has made major advances in torpedo and anti-ship missile programs that would lead to loses of said carriers. Besides, China friggin owns us anyways…one of these days they are going to come collecting on the debt we owe them…when we say “sorry China, we can't pay you because we are broke…sorry Charrie” and China says “YOU PAY NOW!!!”…then China says “OK, we will take Hawaii, Alaska and California”…than the fight is on and the US loses.

b) In a war of attrition, assuming high casualty rates as seen in a major conflict, not the low daily numbers of guerilla warfare or occupations, I give the US public 12 months maximum…protests would naturally begin on day one, but the majority of corn-fed central America would not get really upset for some time…once the news of US loses begins to come out, the public will begin to turn…Americans don't tolerate military loss very well.

c) I hope to God that we would not, but I don't have much faith in either God or the sensibilities of the average politician. We would most likely respond, maybe 2-for-1 to show our ability, determination and stockpiled availability to continue nuking…but then the Jenie would be out of the bottle and we would all be screwed.

The World War II generation has been called “the greatest generation”…I think of Americans now as “the weakest generation”. We have gone soft and have been too spoiled for too long for us to stomach a modern “stand up fight”.

Semper Fi!
    Scott

rdf

Well, we've been in two wars of attrition for eight years, so go figure.

King Scott

@Honus wrote:

Well, we've been in two wars of attrition for eight years, so go figure.

I would not call either one a “stand up fight”…insurgencies and occupations do not qualify…neither opponent even deserves the title of “opponent”. I don't see Iraq, Al Queda or the Talliban ever sinking an aircraft carrier…ever…but that is very likely against a cappable opponent such as China.

Semper Fi!
    Scott

rdf

Well, they are wars of attrition…whatever else you may want to call them, or not call them. Certainly the Taliban and Al-Queda view them as wars of attrition. North Vietnam never sank an Aircraft Carrier either and look how great that turned out.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.