New Paratroop Book

SoCal ASL Forums General Forum Military History New Paratroop Book

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    King Scott

Guys;

While at the bookstore this morning to locate a book on Angola, I found a very interesting new book in the Military History section that I just had to pick up.

The book is Blossoming Silk Against The Rising Sun: US and Japanese Paratroopers at War in the Pacific in WWII by Gene Eric Salecker. This is a new book published in 2010 by Stackpole Books…ISBN 978-0-8117-0657-5 …cost was $21.95.

From the back: “From the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, through Japan's surrender nearly four years later, the American and Japanese conducted a total of twelve combat parachute drops – seven by the U.S. and five by Japan – in the Pacific theater of World War II…”

The book looked to good to pass up, but I don't know when I'll ever get a chance to actually read the thing! :)

Semper Fi!
    Scott

King Scott

I finished this book a couple of weeks ago as soon as I got on break from school. I highly recommend this book, and it is chock-full of potential scenarios.

Without going into a full review, the book covers the 12 major combat drops in the PTO during WWII (5 Japanese, 7 American). The book covers such actions as the Japanese drops at Manado, Celebes 1942, Koepang, Dutch-Timor, 1942, Buraen, Leyte 1944 and the American drops at Noemfoor Island 1944, Corregidor Island, 1945 and Camalaniugan, Luzon 1945.

The Japanese drop on Burauen in December 1944, especially around Buri Airfield, and the American drop on Tagaytay Ridge in Jan/Feb 1945 *really* scream out for a linked series of scenarios or a mini-CG…if I were done with school I would be tempted.

The only real complaint that I had with the book was the author's use of Wikipedia as a source for weapons for both the Japanese and Americans.

Semper Fi!
    Scott

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.