November 26th Game Day at At Ease Games

SoCal ASL Forums General Forum SD Game Days November 26th Game Day at At Ease Games

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jim Aikens
    Keymaster

We had four members in attendance for the Thanksgiving weekend edition of our ASL Game Day in San Diego.

Dave Perham and Fred Timm paired up for “Guns for St. Barbara” from Journal 9, with Fred’s Americans holding out for a win against Dave’s Germans.

Don Petros and I squared off in a pre-arranged game of the VotG scenario “Terror at Twilight” from Journal 8. I have to say, Don and I have played countless times during our 25 year friendship, but this was one of the closest and most exciting games we’ve ever had.

This scenario has an interesting mechanic that allows the German defenders to choose from a variety of fortifications in exchange for reducing the number of VP the Russians need to exit to win. The Russians get three T34-M41’s and it was obvious to me that the best way for the Russians to win was get these 3 monsters off the board. The problem is the Germans have only two 37L AT Guns, and the bravery of their infantry, to stop them. So I maxed out my purchases setting up a solid line of Road Blocks and 2 AT mine hexes; hoping to kill at least one (and hopefully two) of the T34’s right off the bat. Unfortunately for me, Don saw through this strategy from the start, and responded by pulling his tanks up behind one of the Road Blocks to lend fire support while his infantry began to clear it. For five straight turns there was a continuous battle between the Russians trying to clear the RB, and my Germans trying to drive off or Pin enough of them to get the clearance DR down. In the meantime, Don’s infantry took advantage of the +2 LV hinderence to grind forward in a steady Assault Move-Advance pace that forced my outnumbered troops back. At the end of Russian turn 6, with only one movement phase remaining, Don’s infantry finally cleared the RB. My surviving Germans were braced in the rear hexrow ready to lay Firelanes. As the math worked out, Don needed to exit all three tanks, plus two additional VP of infantry for the win. I managed to stop all of Don’s infantry on the board edge, but one of the tanks had a squad of riders. As the tanks came forward the riders were unaffected by my Residual Fire and Firelanes. Finally, my German 10-2 stepped into the street leading an assault-engineer HS to street-fight the last exiting tank… and just barely killed it for the win. Whew, what a game!!

We adjourned in the middle of the afternoon for a nice lunch at Filippi’s Italian restaurant, and wrapped up around 6:00 PM. It was another great day. Ron and Carin Kent at At Ease Games are really terrific hosts.

Since next month’s Game Day would fall on Christmas Eve, our San Diego Game Days will resume on January 28th.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.