October 22nd Game Day at At Ease Games

SoCal ASL Forums General Forum SD Game Days October 22nd Game Day at At Ease Games

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jim Aikens
    Keymaster

As it turned out, we actually had two Game Days yesterday: our regularly scheduled Game Day at All Ways Gaming in Chatsworth, and a second at At Ease Games in San Diego.

The second came about because I needed to be in San Diego on Saturday evening, so I knew it was impractical to make the drive up to Chatsworth. I had heard through Jimmy Hansen that David 'Special K' Kocot was working on getting some guys together to meet at At Ease Games. I contacted David, and he made some calls, and I put the (last minute) word out, and we met yesterday at 11:00 AM. We had four members, plus a friend of Jimmy's named Jesus. We also had a cameo from Victor Behar. It was nice to see Victor, it's been a while.

Special K paired up with Fred Timm for “A Tough Nut to Crack” with Fred taking the Brits against David's Japanese. That game was still going strong when I had to leave at 6:00.

That left Jimmy Hansen and I paired up for the new Schwerepunkt scenario “Meet the Old Boss”. Jimmy took the Romanian/Russians against my attacking Germans. There are two ways the Germans can win; either by kicking the Russians out of all the buildings, or exiting 14 EVP. This seemed a little hard on the Germans; both sides get 10 squads. The Germans get a couple of 251-9's (with the 75* Gun), which enter on turn 2, and the Russians get a 76* Inf Gun, an 82mm MTR and a .50 Cal. Jimmy had a good set-up, with most of his squads on the Russian right, covering most of the buildings, and both guns and the .50 Cal on the left. I decided the building VC's were impractical, and went to the Russian left, through mostly open ground, in hopes of running the gauntlet of fire before the Russians could reinforce from their right. To make it harder on the Russians, I assigned the German MMG and HMG to cover a gap in the buildings and woods, where I k new they'd have to move through to reinforce the threatened flank. On the German right, I deployed as many squads as possible to keep the casualties down, except for the 9-2, who took two full squads and both LMGs to work as a mobile fire-base. And off we went…

Jimmy had a bit of bad luck when his 76* Gun broke on turn 1, and didn't repair at the top of turn 2. I decided to run the gauntlet with the two 251-9's. Although I knew I'd miss their fire support and Smoke, I felt banking 10 of my 14 EVP was worth it, and exited them both on turn 2. But that left the infantry to struggle on without them. I got lucky with my MMG and HMG and was able to slow down the Russians coming in from their right flank, and my 9-2/LMG fire-base went of a 4 shot rate tear, killing off the .50 Cal, 1.5 Russian squads and a crew. Though I lost a total of 4 half squads to K/KIA's, most of my troops made it to the safety of the woodline next to the exit hex, and on turn 6 they bum-rushed the remaining Russian defenders. I was able to squeeze two squads and an 8-0 off for a very close win. It was a fun and exciting game. This was Jimmy's 8th game since resuming his ASL career a couple of months ago, and he played like a champ. Bravo!

I heard from Dave Nicholas later that evening the we had five members in Chatsworth (Nick, Eric Visnowski, Ed Esparza, Dave Lewis and Dan Plachta.) D.L. has already posted an AAR for that (thanks Dave!)

I have to say, At Ease is a great venue. It is by far the largest and nicest game store I've played at in So. Cal. And they're planning to open a craft beer brewery that will have direct access to the game area. (Holy shit, ASL and craft beer. What a concept.) Unfortunately they are also *very* busy on Saturdays, and we were lucky to get table space. We're going to try to work in some more Game Days at this venue however, time and space permitting. I'm looking forward to seeing the craft brewery annex.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.