Operations Magazine Special Edition #1

SoCal ASL Forums General Forum ASL Product Reviews Operations Magazine Special Edition #1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    King Scott

Some of you may be familiar with Operations magazine, but for those who are not (like I was), it basically is the magazine for The Gamers games that MMP took over a couple of years ago. Why is it of interest to ASL players?…it is where MMP releases additional Starter Kit scenarios, typically two per magazine. For ASL collectors like myself, this can be frustrating to have to shell out the purchase of a magazine covering game systems that I do not play just to get a couple of scenarios for my collection…C'est La Vie!

When it was announced that there was going to be a ASL mini-HASL included in the first Special Edition of Operations Magazine, I made plans to purchase the magazine when it became available. One tough part of the decision to purchase was the price…$40.00 plus another $8.50 for shipping (due to some of the included game components, a box was required for shipping as an envelope would not suffice…again, C'est La Vie!). Candice was looking for a detailed breakdown of what was in the magazine to help people make up their minds about purchasing the magazine or not…here's what you get.

60 page magazine – very similar to the familiar Journal in that it has a minimum of advertising (back cover only) and contains a number of articles on The Gamers games; informational, tactics, variants, series replay, product reviews, and all the other typical topics you would find for ASL in the Journal. The articles are:

1. Editors intro.
    2. Product preview of an SCS (Standard Combat Series) game coming out called Bastogne.
    3. Product review of the OCS (Operational Combat Series) game called Case Blue.
    4. An article on the SCS game called The Mighty Endeavor.
    5. An article on the SCS game called Afrika (2nd Edition) about introducing others to wargames, and includes a small hypothetical scenario for Afrika to be used as a teaching aid.
    6. An article on rules that did not make it into the CWBS (Civil War Brigade Series) game called Strike Them A Blow…looks like these could be used as optional or house rules for that game.
    7. An article and “extended scenario” for the SCS game called Fallschirmjaeger for the “Assault on Rotterdam”…there are variant counters included with the magazine for this “extended scenario”.
    8. An article on the Soviet leader units in the IGS (International Game Series) game called Red Star Rising.
    9. An article on the armies of the Wermacht in the IGS game called Red Star Rising.
    10. An article and scenario for the MMP game called Shifting Sands.
    11. An article on the recent ASL HASL Valor of the Guards…I believe this a reprent of an article that originally appeared in Dispatches From the Bunker, so some may have already read this (I had not). It gives a brief overview of the module itself and the components and tactics/strategy for both sides.
    12. A scenario anlaysis article by Brian Youse of MMP on one of the two Starter Kit scenarios included in this issue of the magazine.
    13. Two ASL Starter Kit scenarios…S30 Ripples on the Pond…S31 Going to New York!. S30 is a 4.5 turn scenario featuring Germans defending with 3.5 squadsa couple of leaders, a couple MG's and 2 75L AT's against entering Americans who get 6 devil squads riding on 5 Shermans…Americans have to exit 10 VP or more…looks like a nice trainer for HIP Guns. S31 is a 5.5 turn scenario featuring Americans defending with 6 devil squads, two leaders and 1 MMG against attacking Italians who get 13 squads (1st Line and Conscripts) with three leaders and three MG's…6ML troops attacking 6ML troops…SWEET!!!
    14. Rules for the Iwo Jima based Area Movement game called Rage Against The Marines that is included in this issue. Included for this game, in addition to the rules, are a sheet of counters (unit and informational), an Area map of Iwo Jima (playing area, different unit holding “boxes”, turn track, Victory Point track, etc.), a smaller map (for the Japanese player to use for his underground units movement), and a “screen” for the Japanese players map (it has the Sequence of Play printed on both sides so that the players also get some utility from the screen).
    15. Two ASL scenarios for the “Singling” map included in this issue. SG1 Abrams' Charge…SG2 Fitzgerald's Fire. SG1 is a 6 turn scenario featuring defending Germans with 15 squads, 4 leaders, 4 MG's, a 'shreck, 4 AFV's (2 Panthers), a 76L AT and a 20L AA…also get to select one of two reinforcement groups; a JgPz IV/70 w/9-1 AL or another Panther…against entering Americans who get 7.5 squads, 4 leaders, a Hero, 2 MMG's, 3 BAZ 44's, 2 DC's, 1-2 AL, 8-1 AL and 13 AFV's who need to amass a certain # of VP (both CVP and VP for building Control) so long as they do not go over their own CVP cap. SG2 features defending Americans with 2.5 squads, 1 leader, 1 MMG, 8-1 AL some “?” and 1 AFV with T1 reinforcements of 1.5 squads, 8-1, BAZ 44, DC and 2 AFV's against on board Germans attacking with 8.5 squads, 2 leaders, 2 LMG's, 'shreck and Panther with T1 reinforcements of another Panther who have to control three designated buildings.
    16. An article offering strategy tips for the MMP game Monty's Gamble: Market Garden.
    17. An article on the leaders in the IGS game called Warriors of God that was recently released.
    18. An article on the NBS (Napoleanic Brigade Series) games called Salamanca and Bailen.
    19. An arfticle on the NBS game called Waterloo.
    20. An interview with game designer Dean Essig.
    21. A bonus ASL scenario for the recent HASL Valor of the Gurads…HASL Votg18 In Sight Of The Volga…a historical redo of the classic scenario on the VotG map.

Also included with the magazine are:
    1. Two Chpater Z pages (Z59-Z62) for the SSR's and CG Rules for the ASL mini-HASL titled Singling. The CG consists of 3 CG “dates” and has abreviated “refit phase” rules.
    2. A pocket game called Against The Odds: Showtime Hanoi…on the front is a small playing map and counters at the bottom (with key for info on the counters)…on the back are the rules.

Phew! There is a lot of stuff crammed into this one magazine. Unfortunately for us ASL players, there is only a small amount of ASL related stuff for us. Are the ASL items included enough to warant the purchase (and shipping) price?…you will have to make that decision for yourself. But there are some cool ASL things included herein that can not be obtained anywhere else. Shrewd marketing or Shystering?…again, you decide.

Semper Fi!
    Scott

testuser

Thanks for the exhaustive review, Scott! I appreciate the effort you put into it.

Shystering. But at least I will be getting my replacement map shortly…even delivered to my house rather than across town.

King Scott

Thanks for the Review Scott!!

Just wish they would have included all of this with
    the next Journal instead of Operations Magazine.
    The Campaign game and Map are nice but pricey at $48.50!!!!

rdf

Singling, ASL or ASLSK?

King Scott

@Honus wrote:

Singling, ASL or ASLSK?

The Singling mini-HASL is ASL, not SK. I'll bring mine to the BBQ next month and am willing to loan it out (security deposits, ID and background checks required first though).

Semper Fi!
    Scott

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.