Progress Report: 9/13/14 Slaughter at Ponyri CG

SoCal ASL Forums General Forum OC Game Days Progress Report: 9/13/14 Slaughter at Ponyri CG

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jim Aikens
    Keymaster

We had 6 members, plus cameos from Eric Visnowski and Jim Svette, for our Slaughter at Ponyri CG playtest day at St. Crispin’s.

St. Crispin’s hall is not air conditioned, and with temperatures so high we knew playing conditions were going to be harsh. Luckily Dan got there early and snagged us a table with a fan in front of it, so it was at least bearable. As we expected, the heat kept overall attendance for the St. Crispin’s Irregulars low, so at least it wasn’t noisy and crowded.

We opened the action at the top of turn 2, with Dan Plachta, Scott Thompson and Dave Kocot commanding the Russians against me and Jim Cotugno as the Germans. Mario Goldgorin provided his dice rolling skills and neutral commentary throughout the day.

The Germans continued their strategy of withholding the bulk of their armor and relying on their infantry to seek out HIP units, mines and AT Guns. We dialed in both OBA modules on the west end of Russian MLR. Our 150mm hit the west-center of the town and started doing damage. I used the 120mm for Smoke near the German entry area, and rushed 5-4-8’s and sappers in to start clearing out the Russian strongpoints with CC. In the northwest sector Jim continued to press Scott’s forward defenders, and they continued to inflict damage before being overrun. Jim also ran the northwest sector, and pushed forward against Dave’s dug-in line.

On turn 3 I had my Smoke in place and was heavily engaged all along the west flank. With the Russian Rocket OBA gone, Jim and I decided it was time to unleash the hounds, and brought in most of our armor and our remaining infantry. I pushed 8 PzIVs, (F2 and H) with 6 squads as riders into the Russian west flank, crashing through wire and hitting a string of mines. The Russians responded with fire from 3 dug-in T-34’s and bombs from Sturmovic FB’s, but the Russian west flank was breached. Jim cleared out some of Scott’s forward strongpoints, and worked the Elephants further up the rail embankment to lend some fire support to my effort.

We played through the top of 3 and called it a long, hot day. Because I will be at ASLOK on October 11, the carnage will resume in November. Next month will be a regular Game Day format run by Dan and Jim.

We had our usual ‘Gamer’s Lunch’ compliments of the St. Crispin’s Irregulars. We pulled out at about 7:30 PM.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.