Recommended reading for Omaha Beach?

SoCal ASL Forums General Forum Military History Recommended reading for Omaha Beach?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jim Aikens
    Keymaster

We're starting the big scenario of “First Wave at Omaha” at Brandon's this Thursday. When we embark on these types of campaigns, I usually like to do a little background reading to enhance the experience. I've read a number of the popular D-Day books (The Longest Day, Ambrose's D-Day, etc.) but I'm looking for a good book on just the landing at Omaha. By good, I mean fairly detailed but well written.

Anyone have a suggestion?

-Jim

King Scott

I have not read it, but what about that book “The Bedford Boys”…I've heard good things about it.

Semper Fi!
    Scott

Robin

I read “Utah Beach” by Joseph Balkoski (ISBN 978-0-8117-0144-0) and thought it was very good; it focused on just that landing. I believe he also wrote “Omaha Beach”. It might be worth looking into.

Peace,

Casta

Jim Aikens
    Keymaster

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've seen both books at Border's recently; looks like I need to make another trip and check them out. :)

Regards,

Jim

King Scott

Both the books by Balkoski are very good as is The Bedford Boys . Two others to check out are The Americans At D-Day and The Americans At Normandy , both by John C. McManus. They are both well researched overviews of D-Day and the period afterwards up until the Falaise Gap. The Boys of Pointe du Hoc is good too, but focuses just on the 2nd Ranger Battalion and not so much on the rest of the invasion.

Jim Aikens
    Keymaster

Thanks Todd!

King Scott

So will we get AARs from the big Omaha landing?

Jim Aikens
    Keymaster

F*ck Yeah, you will!

-Jim

rdf

Birthday gift for me today is the newly released:
    “D-Day” by Antony Beevor

I just got it this morning and it's not yet released in the USA, but it looks like the kind of thing you are looking for Jim.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.