Return to the Littlefield Museum AAR

SoCal ASL Forums General Forum Club Events Return to the Littlefield Museum AAR

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jim Aikens
    Keymaster

Our long awaited, much anticipated return to the Military Vehicle Technology Foundation (Littlefield Museum) went off without a hitch yesterday. We had 18 members, family and friends in attendance. Frankly, organizing and planning this trip was no small feat; we had 8 people flying in on three different flights, then meeting up with 10 more people who drove. Thankfully, all three flights were on time. We were able to assemble the flyers, get over to the car rental agency, book our cars and get to the assembly area (next to the Winchester Mystery House) in good time. There we made our historic rendezvous with the ground element arriving from a variety of directions in five different groups.

Once we had everyone accounted for, we proceeded across the street for a group lunch at Chili’s. Let me say that the manager of El Torito Grill could have learned a few things from these guys; they had 18 meals served hot, together and in record time, and we were on our way to the museum by 12:30 pm. We arrived at exact 1:00 (our tour time) bought our tickets and headed into the first building for the tour.

I will let others give their impressions of the tour and collection for your enjoyment. Suffice it to say no one was disappointed. ;) Certainly one of the high points was when the docent let the kids (and later the adults) climb into an Israeli M3 halftrack and man the four .50 Cal machine guns.

We wrapped up the tour around 4:30. Most of the drivers headed off to their various destinations, and the flyers (with Eric Johnson’s friend Bruce Sears as a guide) returned to San Jose for an excellent Mexican dinner, followed by a quick dash to the airport to get the flyers boarded on their various flights to San Diego and Los Angeles.

In all it was a long, but perfect day. I can’t think of a better way to spend a Saturday than in the company of so many friends. It was a pleasure from beginning to end.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.