Schwerpunkt 145 , The Reluctant Tiger

SoCal ASL Forums General Forum Scenario AARs Schwerpunkt 145 , The Reluctant Tiger

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Last Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at The Realm ,I paired up with Casta for some ASL action with The Reluctant Tiger.
    RT is a tournament length scenario of 6.5 turns on boards 3 and 41 with a German infantry force backed by a lone King Tiger
    trying to evict American MMCs from buildings 3 M 2 and 3R3. The US force is made up of a mix of 6 6 6 and 6 6 7 squads backed by two M 4 Shermans. The scenario has a quirky SSR regarding the Tiger : if the Tiger survives a hull hit,the crew
    must take a NTC,if the NTC is failed, the Tiger is recalled.

We diced off resulting with me being the German attacker.I knew that Tiger was doomed from the get go.Casta set up
    a forward defense in stone buildings on board 41 hill mass R 4 consisting of about 4 squads. The rest were in and around
    3 M 2 with his 2 mmg on level 2 to keep me honest.Castas ' armor was in reserve on the back road. My set up / plan consisted of my hmg and manning squad plus 9 1 leader in 41 0 9 the Tiger in 41 P 10 , 3 or 4 squads set up near by to make the assault on the hillmass. The rest of my units were staged to my right with a support group in the center and a flanking group to my extreme right.

My plan was to use the HMG and Tiger to neutralize Castas' forward units while the manuver platoon moved in to engage his baz.
    The units at my center would draw fire and move forward as fast as possible while offering support to the aforementioned units. The flanking group on the right ( way over in row CC ) consisted of 3 x4 4 7 and a leader whos' job was simply to penetrate
    Chris' defense line ASAP , then shift towards the 3 M 2 complex keeping the US rear guard occupied.

Things started off with an Ami unit breaking in 41 R 5 allowing German inf to move up, same thing for center and flank units.I suffered no damage this round.The next turn or two saw Casta upping the ante and forcing the issue by bringing his armor up to 41 T 2 and 41 K 2. At this point I figured it was time to kill off my Tiger so I could concentrate on my infantry. I moved up to 41 T 5 and Casta obliged . Chris' first shot was a hull hit, with no rate.I did my lousy Col Klink impression and easily passed the NTC . Casta paused for a moment and announced an IF shot, he rolled a hard 4 which anothet NTC.With 9 morale this was a gimme. Well it should have been… I rolled eleven and was in recall mode. I have to admire Chris,he was stoic and almost apologetic with the result.On the other hand , had it been me that achieved the same result, I would have jumped from my chair and strutted round like Mussolini and done a victory jig . ;)

The following turn was classic ASL: Casta started off by popping a smoke shell at the Tiger in his prep fire phase.Then he moved a squad adjacent to the Tiger , and more importantly a pinned squad of mine.The rest of the turn consisted of Casta readjusting his infantry positions. In the DFF the now smoked Tiger ,knowing recall was imminent did a Billy Jack [ for you young punks,that means it went berserk] I pulled off no less than 5 ROF shots killing a Sherman and getting a crit on the now adjacent enemy squad,revenge was sweet, and the Tiger rode off into the sunset my very next mph. The rest of the game was fairly deadly as Chris and me both rolled a slew of lower than average rolls. Fortunately for me I was able to keep my infantry on the move and soon was at the door of building M 2. We had an epic fight for M 2 that finally resulted with the Germans winning the DR contest.

While the battle raged for M 2 I had also begun the fight for R3. My hmg and 9-1 , supplemented by a platoon [ and soon to be more ] traded shots with a Sherman a squad or two and a lone officer.The hmg went on a rate tear that did a lot of damage to R3 and also to Castas rear guard over in 3 M 5.Everything semed to happen at once as I was able to to finish M2 and prepare
    for the final assault on R 3.With Casta low on reserves and my dice screaming hot,not to mention the store closing around us, Casta conceded the game and we packed it away.

Some of the other highlights in this game were quite memorable. First off, Casta rolled an incredible amount of successful SANS,we are talking maybe 9 out of 11-most of them were 1s. Casta also managed to create some 4 SMCS!
    This was absolutely amazing, I have never seen anything like it.at least 2 were created during mmc self rally rolls, the remainder during CC.I also managed to battle harden a couple squads and get the hero too. I can't remember how many dueling DRs we made that matched. 3 for 3 4 for 4 etc incredible. All those SANS Chris hit also meant i rolled 4s, those 4s took their toll on Chris' units.

All in all RT was a good scenario and I recommend it.As far as lessons learned the main lesson for RT was this: Keep on the move,do your shooting in the afph and manuver to pull the opponent out of position when possible.

Finally, I want to thank Casta for a great afternoon of ASL and look forward to a rematch.

Regards, ev

Robin

Eric,

Nice (and kind) AAR . Great fun playing you Saturday. Looking forward to the rematch.

Citizens,

I recommend you give this scenario a look for potential play. Interesting OB/SSR, old/new terrain, challenging delaying action for the Americans and tricky attack for the Germans. Quick playing and fun. Check it out.

Peace,

Casta

P.S. – “Baby Jesus Dice”!?!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.