September Game Day at Gameology Upland: AAR

SoCal ASL Forums General Forum LA Game Days September Game Day at Gameology Upland: AAR

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jim Aikens
    Keymaster

We had ten players for our SoCalASL Game Day at Gameology in Upland:

Fred Driver’s Japanese defeated Mike Meeks’ Americans in a re-match of “First Mataninka”.

Scott Thompson’s Japanese defeated Peter Strand’s Aussies in “Commandos not Supermen”.

Fred Timm’s Russians took a ‘down to the last die roll’ win over Jim Svette’s Germans in “Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea”.

We had a new guy, Gene Thompson join us. He’s a long-time player getting back into the game after a 20 year hiatus. (Hmm, that sounds familiar…) He took the Russians against Robert Hammond’s Germans in “The Tractor Factory”. After playing until quite late, their game came to a draw. I watched a couple of turns of this game. I have to say, for a guy just getting back into the game, Gene played with skill and confidence. He’s going to be in the thick of the competition pretty quickly.

New player Jeremy Driesler returned this month. He wanted to play full ASL, so we chose the updated version of “Commando Shenke”. Jeremy wanted to defend, so I took the Germans against his Russians.

I had not played this scenario in many years. My plan was simple; I put my 4-6-7’s, with the MG’s, on the left. The 8-3-8’s FT’s, DC’s and 10-2 went to the right. The 4-6-7 group would tie down the Russians, the assault engineer group would flank to the right, break into the victory building, and break the defenders there for win. Sounds good? Yeah, it was a dumb idea. The A.E.’s cannot set up with the 1st line squads, but they could have set up between them. I think the Germans should built assault teams of 4-6-7’s and 8-3-8’s. 5 A.E. squads isn’t enough to get the job done alone. They need regular infantry to cross the streets and take buildings. But against all odds, my stupid plan actually worked; mostly because I rolled well. But by the time the last Russian defender broke, I was down to two 8-3-8’s and one FT, and only a handful of 4-6-7’s. We had a ‘welcome to ASL’ moment when one of my 8-3-8’s jumped his 4-4-7. In CC I rolled an 9, Jeremy rolled snakes. Not only did he kill my A.E., he created a 7-0 ! ASL Lesson #116: Close Combat can be a bitch.

Incredibly, this was only Jeremy’s third game. And his first on defense. He fought hard and well, and really made a game of it. I gave him a few pointers here in there, but he really made his own decisions and had a good grasp of the rules. I was impressed by how much he’s picked up in only three games. More importantly, we both had a lot of fun, and more than a few laughs. This scenario is always a good choice, and a good size for a game day.

We had our usual pleasant lunch at Farmer Boys. It was another great Game Day for SoCalASL.

ed esparza
    Participant

Hey, Fen and U were there also. We played a schwerpunkt game and I lost on the last turn. I was on the ropes after turn 2. I was lucjy to hold on as long as I did.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.