September Game Day in Bellflower: AAR

SoCal ASL Forums General Forum LA Game Days September Game Day in Bellflower: AAR

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jim Aikens
    Keymaster

We had 11 members for the September edition of our ASL Game Day at The Guild House in Bellflower.

Fen Yan’s Americans defeated John Lehman’s Germans in the Hatten scenario “The Bend”.

Fred Timm’s Germans defeated Scott Thompson’s French in the Rally Point scenario “Tardiveau Le Volontaire”.

Jim Svette’s Russians defeated John Strauch’s Germans in “Brave Little Emchas”.

Guy Jimenez’ Germans defeated Robert Barratt’s Russians in “Biderman’s Escape”.

And the dice gave Steve Nicewarner the Germans against me and Stance Nixon as the attacking Russians in “Possl’s Posse”. ROAR shows this somewhat pro-German, so we previously agreed to give the Russians the balance (add a 4-5-8 and LMG to the Russian on-board force). The Germans get a couple of platoons of infantry to hold the level 1 village on board 15a, supported by a Marder III and a PaK40 AT Gun. They receive five 5-4-8’s and a couple of PzIVJ’s on turn 2.

The Russian on-board force can set up on the right, fairly close to hill, or set up for a long flanking manuever to the left. I took the on-board force, a mix of 6-2-8’s and 4-5-8’s supported by two SU-76’s. Our plan was to set up close to the hill (and victory buildings) and gain as much ground as possible before the German reinforcements arrived. Stance took the Russian turn 2 reinforcements (four squads mounted on two T34-85’s and two M4 Emchas). This ‘flying column’ would swing left, and hit the village from the rear.

Steve correctly identified the German left as the Russian’s most likely avenue of approach, and set up strong there. He held his Marder in the middle, and a couple of squads on the German right to tie up the ‘flying column’. I hit the German line hard, and by turn 2 was pushing up the hill. Stance brought his flanking column in, but we changed our plan and attacked the center. The Marder took out an Emcha before dying to a T34 shot. Steve brought his reinforcements, including the PzIV’s, into the village. We sent the remaining Emcha up into the village in the center while the T34’s swung wide to the left, to attack the village from the rear and engage the Panzers. A slug-fest ensued in the center, with the Germans slowly falling back, killing Russians and burning time. Unfortunately, the store was closing at that point. With one turn to go, the Russians needed two more buildings, and the Germans struggling to hold on. It was anyone’s game at that point, so we called it a draw.

I liked this scenario a lot. Giving the Russians the balance (extra squad and LMG) seemed like a good correction. It felt close, and certainly would have been if we’d had the time to finish. We had a lot of fun with it.

We had our usual lunch at the pizza joint, and the survivors adjourned for a relaxing dinner at Sizzler. It was another great Game Day for SoCalASL.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.