WCM XIII: The Melee format

SoCal ASL Forums General Forum West Coast Melee WCM XIII: The Melee format

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jim Aikens
    Keymaster

Greetings ASL fans;

WCM XIII is fast approaching. I want to give everyone the rundown of what The Melee format will be this year. We have decided to abandon the system we tried last year and return to our old system, with some small modifications:

As always, The Melee will be divided to two phases: Friday's open-play “Close Combat” phase and Saturday/Sunday's single-elimination “Hand-to-Hand” phase.

Friday's “Close Combat” phase:

The purpose of “Close Combat” is to pare down the competition to the sixteen players who will proceed to the single elimination “Hand to Hand” phase on Saturday morning. Starting on Friday morning, you'll be paired up randomly to play any scenario of your choice. When you've completed a scenario, turn the result into the Tournament Director, find a new opponent, and start a new one. We will score player performance using the “Chicago System”; you get 10 points for each scenario you win, plus one point for each scenario that your opponents win. Since there is no penalty for losing a scenario, it is in your best interest to play quickly, and if possible try to get in a third scenario.

In order for a player to qualify for Saturday’s “Hand-to-Hand” phase they must:

1) Be present at 9:00 AM on Friday morning and available to be paired. Everyone who is present at 9:00 AM is guaranteed to be paired. If you come in after the initial pairings, but before 10:00 AM, I will make every effort to pair you, but it will be subject to the availability of an opponent. If you arrive after 10:00 AM, you're welcome to play a pick-up game with an available opponent and sign up for the first available mini-tournament, but you won't be able to compete in The Melee.

2) Play at least two scenarios on Friday, and turn the results into the T.D. no later than 11:00 PM.

3) Have one of the top 16 scores overall using the “Chicago System”. The “Sweet 16”, as we call it, will be announced at 11:30 PM, and we will begin pairing at that time.

4) Be present on Saturday morning at 9:00 AM. It is my intention to pair the “Sweet 16” on Friday night. If only one party is present at that time his opponent will be awarded a default victory. If both players are not present, the first player to arrive before 10:00 AM will be awarded a default victory. If neither appears by then, the T.D. will disqualify both players and an alternate will be named and awarded a default victory.'

5) Be available to play one scenario on Sunday if necessary.

I will provide a list of “recommended scenarios” for Friday; ones that can be played in less than 6 hours and are relatively balanced. You don't have to play a scenario off that list. You can play any scenario you want. Just remember that the results have to be in by 11:00 PM. Having all the “Sweet 16” pairings done on Friday evening when we announce who made the cut should relieve a lot of stress on Saturday morning.

Saturday's “Hand-to-Hand” phase:

The “Hand-to-Hand” phase is a four round, single elimination tournament. Scenario lists will be provided for each round, and will not be released in advance. The first round of this phase will by necessity be short. The cut-off time to turn in your result is 1:00 PM. Games that are not completed by then will be adjudicated by a committee appointed by the T.D. Subsequent rounds will not be timed. However, the T.D. reserves the right to adjudicate any game in the second round if it appears to be significantly delaying the tournament.

The players who win their first two games in the “Hand-to-Hand” phase will be required to play in the final round on Sunday. The winners of the third round will play for Champion and 2nd Place on Sunday. The players who lost in the third round will play on Sunday to determine 3rd and 4th place. We will award plaques for 1st – 4th place.

I am very excited about West Coast Melee XIII. We're expected another solid turnout this year. In addition to The Melee we have lots of great programs lined up. Trust me, if you get knocked out of The Melee, there will be plenty to keep you busy for the rest of the weekend.

Regards,

Jim

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.