11th Annual Burning Wreck Barbecue AAR

SoCal ASL Forums General Forum Burning Wreck BBQ Summer Event 11th Annual Burning Wreck Barbecue AAR

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jim Aikens
    Keymaster

We had 18 members, on time and ready to play, plus a cameo from Scott Thompson, for our 11th Annual Burning Wreck Barbecue on Saturday. Our chosen scenario was the Pete Shelling classic “J1 Urban Guerrillas”. ROAR has this 55/45 pro-Russian, but we know from experience that the defenders usually have a slight advantage when they have the time to do a set-up in advance. That isn't how it worked out. The Russians won 7 of the 9 games played:

Kyle Li's Russians defeated Sal Pelaez' Germans.

Jim Svette's Germans defeated John Lehman's Russians.

Hank W.'s Germans defeated Dan Plachta's Russians.

Dave Nicholas' Russians defeated Fen Yan's Germans.

Dave Perham's Russians defeated Dave Rosner's Germans.

Ric Hammond's Russians defeated Stance Nixon's Germans.

Matt Cicero's Russians defeated Eric Visnowski's Germans.

Blair Bellamy's Russians defeated John Strauch's Germans.

And John Leggat gave me the Russians against his Germans. John had a good set-up, but this was one of those games where everything went right for me. John (correctly) slipped a couple of squads back across the bridge on turn one. I came forward hard and fast, straight for the Cathedral. With a SAN of 6, I think the Russians have to get the Germans to roll the dice. On a 3 or 4, the Russian get to generate a partisan squad or SMC. I was fairly conservative with my T34's; I really think the Russians need their SD's for the end game bridge crossing. My 9-2 led HMG at 2nd level did yeoman work, cutting down a couple of German squads trying to maneuver to better positions. I brought my reinforcements in on the Russian left, and both JS's pulled up to challenge the Panther on turn 4, killing it on the bottom of turn 4. On turn 5 my Russians made a dash across the left hand bridge, followed by the JS's. John got a kill against one of my JS's with his well-placed 88, but it was too little too late, and we called this a Russian win on turn 5. We both had a fun game. Bravo to John for putting up a good fight!

Because my game, and the Perham – Rosner match-up ended early, Dave Perham and I decided to set up the Schwerepunkt scenario “Yankee Pride”. This is a pretty interesting scenario that plays quickly. I took the defending Germans, but I didn't grok the scenario and fucked up the set-up. That's something you're not going to recover from against a player of Dave's quality, and he systematically cut my Germans to ribbons. I put up the best fight I could, but when all the other scenarios cleared, we called this one an American win. We had fun with it, and I'd like to try it again. It's always great to get a game in with Dave.

Following our plan, we had Costco pizzas for lunch, and beer and soda flowed all afternoon. The last of our games wrapped up around 8:00 PM. We gave away 6 scenarios packs for prizes, then adjourned to Fuddrucker's from our traditional dinner. The day went perfectly. Everyone enjoyed the scenario and got their fill of food, drink prizes and fun, all compliments of the Club.

On behalf of the Club members, I want to thank Stance and Cheryl Nixon for hosting our event again. The bottom line is that we couldn't put on this kind of event without their hospitality, and we are in their debt. I also want to thank Matt Cicero for his able handling of the money, the drinks and the raffle, as always. I also want to extend a warm welcome back to Kyle Li, who joined us for his first SoCalASL event in a couple of years. On a person note, I want to thank John and Dave for my very enjoyable games. It was great to see everyone. I had a blast.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.