July Game Day at All Ways Gaming AAR

SoCal ASL Forums General Forum LA Game Days July Game Day at All Ways Gaming AAR

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jim Aikens
    Keymaster

We had 6 members for our SoCalASL Game Day at All Ways Gaming in Chatworth:

Dave Nicholas’ Russians defeated James Quinn’s Germans in a ‘down to the last cc’ playing of “Into Vienna Woods”.

Dan Plachta’s Russians defeated Eric Visnowski’s Germans in “Mounting a Big Blow”.

And Peter Strand and I paired up for the WO scenario “One Eyed Jacques”. This France ’40 scenario has been on my playlist since it came out, and I offered it to Peter with his choice of sides. He agreed, and took the defending French. This scenario has the French defending a factory and a fortified building with about a company of infantry, backed by a 75 ART and a 25LL AT Gun. They also get a 120 OBA that has to come down as harrasing fire by SSR. The Germans get seven 4-6-8’s and seven 4-6-7’s supported by a PzIVC, two PzIIIF’s, two PzIIF’s and a PSW221.

Peter had a good set-up, with even coverage of the board. My initial plan was to flank the French line on the right, run up the board edge, and then attack into the factory for the sudden death win. But almost from the start, things went wrong. Although my initial moves went mostly according to plan, many of my shots didn’t drop, and my mostly elite troops struggled to pass morale checks. On turn 2 I paid dearly for my aggressive armor play when my PzIV got burned by Peter’s well placed ART. My flank attack got hung up by Peter’s OBA, and the rest of my troops were forced into a frontal assault of the factory, and took heavy casualties. At this point (turn 3) I decided to go for the game-end VC’s, which was to have more VP’s next to building I4 than the French. To that end, I sent my armor screaming down both flanks and into the French rear, poised to move into position on turn 5 for the win. On turn 4 I continued to press the factory hard and finally was able to slip a couple of squads down the right flank and into the French backfield. Unfortunately, at that point the store was closing and we ran out of time. We called it a draw, though frankly Peter had the edge.

We had a very enjoyable game and we both thought the scenario was both fun and well balanced (it’s 29/31 on ROAR). I’d happily try this one again as either side.

Sal Pelaez and Blair Bellamy joined us for lunch at good old San Carlo Deli. Man, that meatball sub was even better than I remembered… The survivors had an enjoyable dinner on the patio at The Habit. It was another great day of ASL.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Jim Aikens.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.