March 14th Game Day in Bellflower

SoCal ASL Forums General Forum LA Game Days March 14th Game Day in Bellflower

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jim Aikens
    Keymaster

We had 10 members, plus a friend of Guy Jimenez and a cameo by Peter Stand, for the March edition of our ASL Game Day at The Guild House in Bellflower:

Scott Thompson's Americans barely edged out Ric Hammond's Germans in “Fuller's Folly”.

Hank W.'s Americans defeated Dave Nicholas' Germans in “Priests on the Line”.

Dan Plachta's Germans defeated Fen Yan's Americans in the Deluxe scenario “Charging Chaumont”.

Stance Nixon's Germans defeated Guy Jimenez' Brits in and razor close playing of “Five Pound Prize”.

And Jon Jaramillo took the defending Russians against my Germans in the classic Red Barricades scenario “Bread Factory #2”. I've played this scenario a number of times through the years, and it's one of my favorites. The Russians have to defend two single hex two story buildings. They have a couple of platoons of infantry backed by a 45L Gun, two MMG's and an HMG to stop the Germans. They get another gaggle of infantry that arrives on turn 3 as reinforcements. The Germans get a platoon of infantry only two hexes south of the victory buildings, and they have an SSR that makes them go Berserk on a dr less than the turn number. The main German attack starts to the west, consisting of a reinforced rifle company led by a 9-2. I kept the 9-2 with a couple squads and the HMG in the lower left on overwatch, and sent most of my infantry in from the northwest, to come into the Bread Factory from the rear. Jon had a good set-up; with the 45L in the center hex of the Bread Factory, and the 9-1 and HMG Hip directly above it. This scenario is all about the fundamentals; building fire-bases, maneuver, good old fashion CC and capitalizing on small advantages. Our game was bloody and close, and could have gone either way. In the end, my Germans squeezed out a win. We both had a lot of fun with this one, and if you haven't played it, you should give it a try.

We had our usual lunch at 600 Degrees Pizza. The survivors adjourned to Hambones for our usual excellent barbecue dinner.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.