March 7th Game Day in Upland AAR

SoCal ASL Forums General Forum LA Game Days March 7th Game Day in Upland AAR

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jim Aikens
    Keymaster

We had 7 players in attendance for our first Game Day after WCM:

Dave Nicholas' Americans defeated John Lehman's Germans in the classic scenario “Han-Sur-Neid”.

Eric Visnowski's Americans defeated Scott Thompson's Germans in “Red Horse Recon”. Unfortunately, Scott's inability to roll less than 9 made this one end in short order.

And I took the Russians against Dan Plachta and Fred Diver's Germans in the Deluxe Redux scenario “Berzerk!”. I started out having the same problem as Scott; I failed to roll less than a 9 on any morale check for the first two turns. Consequently, my Russians folded like cheap dough, and by the end of turn 2 it was time to throw this one in. We decided to re-boot with “Back to School”; a favorite of mine also from the Deluxe Redux module. By this time, Fred had to pull out and Eric was available, and he joined me as the attacking Germans against Dan's Russians.

This scenario has a well-armed and led company of Germans, backed but a couple of 8-3-8's with a FT and 2 DC's, who have to exit the south board edge. The Russians have to stop them, and have a depleted elite company armed with a .50 Cal and led by a 9-1. Dan set up strong on our right, covering the gully and bridges on that side. The .50 Cal went into the 2nd level center. We decided to go hard and fast to our left. The 9-2 and MMG's moved into the 1st level center, where they could interdict the Russians as they tried to shift to get in front of our attack. We went in fast and hard as planned, with pretty good success. By turn 3, we were assembling only three hexes from the left-most exit hex. But Dan had recovered well, and got most of his forces over there to oppose us. The fight turned into a toe to toe firefight, with both side punching the other in the face. In the end, the Germans just barely exited enough points for a win, but it took a bit of luck for us to get there. No matter, when you're playing Dan, you take a win any way you can get it.

Are the revised scenarios balanced? With “Berzerk!” it's hard to say, as our game was over too quickly, and the dice too influential. In the case of “Back to School”; our game came down to the wire. It certainly felt balanced, and could easily have gone the other way. Our playing was tight, exciting and fun. I'm glad to see that, as I've always liked this scenario.

We had our usual lunch at Farmer Boys, and the survivors enjoyed a late dinner at Louie's Chicken and Fish. It was a nice resumption of our regular Game Day schedule.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.