The Twilight Riders – Book Review/Recommendation

SoCal ASL Forums General Forum Military History The Twilight Riders – Book Review/Recommendation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    King Scott

I will toss my hat into the ring as well with a recommendation of a book I just finished.

The Twilight Riders: The Last Charge of the 26th Cavalry by Peter F. Stevens (Guilford: Lyons Press, 2011) ISBN 978-0-7627-6485-3 tells the story of the US Army 26th Cavalry Regiment stationed in the Philippines at the outbreak of World War II.

Commanded by Col. Clinton A. Pierce, the 26th served as the scouting element of the famous Philippine Scouts that became the Philippine Division after the outbreak of war. Drawing heavily on interviews and primary sources, Stevens devotes the majority of the book to the details of the 26th's exploits opposing the initial Japanese landings in Lingayen Gulf and efforts to delay the Japanese armored spearheads breaking out from the beachhead. Great detail is provided for a number of engagements involving the cavalrymen as they were constantly called upon by General Wainwright to stabilize the line, or to provide the rearguard as the US and Philippino forces withdrew into the Bataan Peninsula.

Contained within the book is a description of the final mounted cavalry charge in US Army history, led by Lieutenant Edwin P. Ramsey, and depicted in ASL scenario G28 Ramsey's Charge and BFP41 Last Cavalry Charge. Of additional note, the book mentions the utilization of Bren guns and carriers by the 26th that were obtained from a Manila warehouse prior to the city falling into Japanese hands.

There is a wealth of information that could be used to formulate some rough scenarios for future Melee Packs for those inclined to design.

Semper Fi!
    Scott

Jim Aikens
    Keymaster

Thanks for the review Scott! Great stuff. Will be adding this one to my reading list.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.